Procedure Guide Quick Facts
Breast Augmentation Quick Facts
Fast Facts About Breast Implants Surgery
Breast Augmentation (augmentation mammaplasty)
The best candidates for breast augmentation are women who want to enhance the size of their breasts, are in good health, have reasonable expectations and are not pregnant or nursing.
The benefits of breast augmentation include larger breasts with a natural look and feel. Many women experience a significant boost to their self-esteem and an increase in self-confidence.
Risks specific to surgery using breast implants include capsular contracture, which is contraction of the capsule surrounding the implant, and the likelihood of repeat surgery, since breast implants are not considered to be lifetime devices. Other risks and possible complications include infection, discomfort and nausea.
The total cost of breast augmentation usually ranges from $5,000 to $7,000, but can vary considerably depending on the plastic surgeon, their location and surgery details.
Length of Procedure
Most breast augmentation procedures last from 1 to 2 hours.
Breast augmentation surgery is usually an outpatient procedure.
General anesthesia is usually used for breast augmentation and other breast surgeries, which puts the patient to sleep. Other types of anesthesia are twilight sedation, local anesthesia and regional anesthesia.
Normal symptoms experienced after breast augmentation procedures include general fatigue, moderate swelling and bruising and mild to moderate discomfort and pain. These symptoms usually subside quickly during the first 48 hours.
Most women are up and around the day after their breast enhancement surgery and can resume most normal activities, including returning to work, within a few days. Strenuous physical activity should be avoided for at least 3 weeks and upper body weight training for 6 weeks. Always follow your doctor's instructions.
Breast Augmentation Surgeons William J. Hedden, M.D.
Saline Implants $2,500
Silicone Implants $3,500
Board-certified Plastic Surgeon Birmingham, AL
- Breast Augmentation Quick Facts
- Are You a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
- All About Breast Implants
- Surgery Information
- Costs and Financing
- Choosing Your New Size
- Choosing a Plastic Surgeon
- Your Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon
- Preparing for Surgery
- After Surgery
- Breast Augmentation Glossary
- Breast Surgery Procedures — Learn about other breast surgery procedures — Breast Lifts, Breast Reduction and Breast Reconstruction.
- Breast Anatomy — Understanding the general anatomy of the breasts is helpful to women considering Breast Implants.
- Breast Cancer Screening — All women, including those with breast implants, should undergo regular Breast Cancer Screenings.