Breast Augmentation Consultation Checklist
The Breast Augmentation Consultation Checklist presents a valuable list of questions to ask at your first visit with a plastic surgeon. After reviewing the questions, print out this list and take it with you to help you to get the most out of your consultation. These questions address important considerations for preparing for breast augmentation surgery, the surgery itself and the recovery period.
- How long have you done breast augmentations and how many do you perform a year?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada?
- Can you provide references of past breast augmentation patients?
- Can you provide before and after photos of your patients?
- What is the total cost of the surgery? What financing options are available? Do the implants come with a warranty?
- What are the details of the procedure that you recommend (implant type, incision type, over or under the muscle, breast lift, etc.)?
- What risks and possible complications are associated with the procedure? How common have they been with your patients?
- What are the different types of implants, and what model, shape and size do you feel is best for me? What are your guidelines and recommendations for selecting the implant size? Are they approved by the FDA?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? Will it be adminstered by a certified anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist?
- How long can I expect the implants to last? Can I expect additional surgeries during my lifetime?
- Where will the procedure be performed? Is the surgery facility certified?
- Who will assist the doctor during the surgery? What are their qualifications?
- What is your policy for revisions if I am dissatisfied with the results? What costs are involved?
- What are the details of the healing process following surgery? What symptoms of complications should I be on the lookout for? What medications and supplies will I need to recover?
- How long will it be before I can resume normal physical activity, return to work, etc.?
- Will implants affect my ability to breastfeed?
- Will implants affect my risk for breast cancer?
- Will the breast implants affect the way my routine mammograms are performed?